Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 23:41:34 -0700
From:      Douglas Jackson <doug@carbine.holster.demos.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modem debugging.

I'm having trouble dialing in to my system.  It's 2.1-RELEASE.

I've an internal modem, which i've configured for auto-answer, according to the
handbook.  It does answer, and the modem on the calling end announces a 14400,
reliable connection.

The system signs on, and I can enter my login name, which echos to me.
Then the password: prompt appears.  I can type anything, including cr, and nothing
happens, not even a login failure.  Pressing ^j gives login failure, even with
a good password.

If I "tip /dev/modem", and then dial in, everything connects, and I can type
end-to-end with no troubles.

I'm running rc.serial, with a "modem 3" statement.

Any tips will be appreciated.
--
Douglas Jackson
doug@carbine.holster.demos.com