Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:23:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        kf7nn1@cybertrails.com (freebsd)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, montana1@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server question

freebsd wrote,
> I had seen an option to get mail from a pop3 server
> using encrypted passwords, what do i have to enable
> in freebsd to allow this? I already have pop server running well
> as just plain ol pop3.

You do not have to make changes to FreeBSD, the OS itself, to do
this. You will need to learn about the mailserver software you are
using.

First of all, not all POP/IMAP servers you might find can handle
encrypted passwords. Second, if they do, you may have had to set
options or otherwise configure the package to do so at compile
time. Third, even if you're all "go" so far, you may need to tell
the run-time configuration to do it. And finally, you better make sure
that the encryption methods supported by the mailserver are also ones
supported by the MUA(s) you will be using.

So, to sum it up, whose POP3 are you running and if required, did you
do any special configuration to enable encryption? What type of
encryption do the mailclients know how to use?