Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 18:21:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any support for PnP ?

Is there any support for PnP boards, in any release of FreeBSD or
the other free unixes (NetBSD, Linux) ?

In case the answer is negative, is there anyone interested in
working on this ?  I know this is a boring thing to do, but there
are probably strong "marketing" motivations to add such support:
More and more cards (specifically: audio and network) nowadays are
soft-configurable only. This forces users to run Windows just to
configure properly the boards, not to mention those cards which
neet to be enabled at bootstrap.

Secondly, it might not be too hard to add such a feature: we already
have support for soft configuration with for the PCI boards, and the
specifications for PnP seem to be available on the net. There might
even be some code available, if someone has pointers I might spend
some time working on this.

        Luigi