Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:32:49 -0400
From:      Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@stat.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM T42 em0 EEPROM Checksum not valid

I'm trying to install 5.2.1-RELEASE on my new IBM ThinkPad T42.  The em(4)
driver complains:

   em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.19> ...
   em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
   em0: Unable to initialize the hardware
   device_probe_and_attach: em0 attach returned 5

I can configure an IP address on the interface, but (of course) it doesn't
actually send/receive traffic.  The link keeps bouncing up and down.  I've
seen "em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting" a few times.  pciconf(8) says:

   em0@pci2:1:0: class=0x020000 card=0x05491014 chip=0x101e8086
     rev=0x03 hdr=0x00

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Eric

PS: I just realized that Intel's PCI Vendor ID is 8086...now that's funny.

--
Eric van Gyzen                        Sr. Systems Programmer
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~vangyzen/   ISDS, Duke University