Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:14:50 -0800
From:      "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith@noanet.net>
To:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ICMP/Connection Oddity

Hello All:

I am now utterlly stumped.  I have the following config:

Catalyst 2950 Switch:
-> FreeBSD 4.7 Release Box
-> FreeBSD 4.5 Release Box
-> FreeBSD 4.4 Release Box
-> Win2K Server
-> Solaris 8 Box

The Win2k box and the 4.5 Box are running on exactly the same hardware.
  All of the servers' ports are set to auto speed and duplex and show no
errors.

So, here's the issue.  When I ping any of the FreeBSD servers, every
200th packet is dropped, irrespective of frame size (anywhere from 100
to 1500 bytes).  I see exactly the same behavior on all of the FreeBSD
boxes, but the Win2k server on the same hardware, and the Solaris box,
don't have any drops.

I've swapped ports and duplex settings to all variables with no luck.
Has anyone seen this behavior before?  I'm out of ideas.

Thanks,

Mike