Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:45:08 -0700
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Subject:   Creating Packages

--y2zxS2PfCDLh6JVG

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create a package from an
already installed port.  Yes, I know about make package, but that seems
to rely on files that get deleted after doing a make clean so I can't
use it without rebuilding a whole new port, but the port may not even be
the same version I have installed.  Is there an easy way to just create
a package from what's in /var/db/pkg/ ?  Recently I decided to upgrade
from XFree86-4 to Xorg, but I would have prefered to have a backup
package of the currently installed XFree86 in case something went wrong.
On gentoo, I had a big problem and had to re-compile Xorg, luckily I was
able to reinstall a package of XFree86 I made just before the upgrade.

I looked through the makefiles to see how ports does the package
creation.  It looks like it compiles pkg_create with a very long list of
arguments including references to file in /var/db/pkg, but it also
references files created in the work directory when it built the port,
but that's already been deleted so I can't use that.

Also, I would like to be able to build a package from a compiled port
without installing it first, is that possible or easy?
--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20

--y2zxS2PfCDLh6JVG

--y2zxS2PfCDLh6JVG--