Date:      13 Nov 1998 09:14:08 +0100
From:      Artur Grabowski <art@stacken.kth.se>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net> writes:

> On 13 Nov 1998, Artur Grabowski wrote:
>
> > "Tech1" <tech@scsr.com> writes:
> >
> > > The cost of this software is $350 but open for bargin. For more than 10M $
> > > company it's another price. If anyone working as consultant for companies.
> > > You may resell this software to them.
> >
> > Or you can get almost the same thing for free from http://www.eddieware.org/
> > With source code. (Yes, I know it still doesn't run on *BSD, but that's a
> > matter of weeks until that code is released).
>
> The guy's trying to make a living, and you're not.

How do you know that? Is it the normal attitude "noone can make money on
freeware"?

I just happen to work at /// in the part that's doing Erlang.
And Eddie is the way the PHBs want to check if "open sourcing" Erlang
would be a good idea. _I_ know that if Erlang stays non-free it will die. So
yes, I'm trying to make a living.

Please. Don't judge people without knowing the facts.

> You don't know the
> quality of either piece of software yet,

Oh, I know the quality of Eddie. And I certainly know the quality of
Erlang. Erlang was _written_ for robustness and failover. And my job is
to ensure the quality of Erlang. And I can promise you that I'm doing
a great job.

> but attitudes like that are a
> big reason that free software isn't more highly catered to by commercial
> companies.

Oh. So Ericsson is a commercial company.. When did we start doing charity?

btw. Why shouldn't I let people know that there are alternatives? Even if
they are free or commercial? Since when did this market benefit from monopoly?

//art