Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 1995 07:38:16 -0500
From:      "Jeff B. Bolton" <jeff@zenox.com>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange networking problem with 2.0.5

At 07:11 PM 11/5/95 -0800, you wrote:
>|>  	If you or your provider are using a USRobotics Sportster modem,
>|>  check the Supervisor date (ATI7), if the date is prior to 04/18/95, you
>|>  have a faulty Supervisior chip which is the cause of your modem "hangups".
>
>Thanks, that appears to be the problem.  (Mine is 08/25/94.)  Now, what
>do I do about it?  Does USR's support cover this?  If so, what are the
>key phrases I need to use to make sure they know which problem I'm
>experiencing?

        Call USR customer service directly.  They are aware of this problem
and have released a tech-note on it.  Request the updated Supervisor chip
from them.  They will send it out to you with instructions on how to replace
it.  All they ask is that you return the old chip back to them.

Cheers
      Jeff
Jeff B. Bolton     http://ring.zenox.com/~jeff/     jeff@zenox.com
* All opinions expressed are my own...Who else would want them?? *
...It's not my job to drive the train, it's not my job to ring the
the bell, but let the damn thing jump the track, and see who
catches hell.....