Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:17:06 GMT
From:      Vijay <vijaychandilya@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/124736: Crash during boot up

>Number:         124736
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       Crash during boot up
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The machine is a Dell 600m, 512M, 160GB hard disk. It has Ubuntu and FreeBSD as a dual boot. I installed FreeBSD 7.0 and everything was fine. I added the Gnome2 package and the first few times everything was fine. I was trying to set up the wireless card and got it working. The first time this bug happened, the message was "$dbus_enable is not set correctly" followed by "$polkitd_enable is not set correctly". I included the 3 lines in /etc/rc.conf: polkitd_enable="YES", dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES". It booted fine a few times after that. Throughout, I have been fiddling with my network configuration in /etc/rc.conf, /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Here are the files that I was playing with:

My /etc/hosts file reads:
127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.my.domain laptop2
192.168.2.4 laptop2 laptop2.my.domain

My /etc/rc.conf files reads:
defaultrouter="192.168.2.1"
hostname="laptop2"
ifconfig_bge0="DHCP"
ifconfig_iwi0="WPA DHCP"
gnome_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"

>How-To-Repeat:
The computer stops in the same place most of the time. Sometimes, it boots without a problem.