Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 23:51:04 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "fbsdqs" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Spike Gronim" <spork@pigstuy.dyn.ml.org>, "sporkl@ix.netcom.com" <sporkl@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:   Re: SparQ drive

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:23:32 -0500 (EST), Spike Gronim wrote:

>	I just got an internal IDE SparQ 1G drive. It is recognized as the
>secondary master by my BIOS. I have the following in my kernel:
>
>controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
>disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
>disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
>
>	But dmesg simply reports:
>
>wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
>
>	There is a cartridge in the drive. How can I get this thing
>detected by FreeBSD?

If your BIOS reported it on the startup screen, like it does the rest
of the BIOS detected devices, I would have expected it to fly.  The
trouble I ran into (when attempting to use one for DOS, Win3.1, Win95,
OS/2 testing) was finding a BIOS that would detect it so I could boot
off it.  I had a clone moboard based on the AMD K5 and it wouldn't
detect it, but a clone (taiwan) moboard with the 200 MHz Pentium MMX
worked fine.  Still, I had problems with OS/2 and WinNT because they
knew it was removable media and they didn't like that being a boot
device...

BTW, I just read today that SyQuest filed chapter 11...

I hope they recover.  I like their drives MUCH better than Iomega...
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.