Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:14:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Greg Stringfellow <greg@smokey.prismnet.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BIND Question

Here is an interesting question, or at least to me right now.

I've got a customer who is trying to send mail to a particular location. The
hostname is "HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US". I remember reading
somewhere about the underscores in a hostname not being valid. But I just
can't seem  to track it down.

Now when on my 2.2 FreeBSD machines, I can nslookup that to get:

bash-2.00# nslookup HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
Server:  bandit.prismnet.com
Address:  205.166.246.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
Address:  206.50.19.5

But if I try to ping it, telnet to it, or even send mail to it I get:

bash-2.00# ping HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US
ping: unknown host HPISD_ADMIN.HIGHLANDPARK.K12.TX.US

And all of this works (with the same resolv.conf file mind you) on my 2.1.7
machine.

Any ideas? Am I going crazy? Have I not read something that I should have
from being too busy? All of the above?

Like always, all help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg

--
    Greg Stringfellow	     	   PrismNet, Inc. - Austin, TX USA
  Network Administration	WWW Pages, ISDN, Telnet, Dialup Accounts

"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat"