Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:38:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Charles Mott wrote:

> >   Suggestion?  Go SSL.  It is standard now.  It can be used for
> > many protocols, as it can encapsulate nearly socket type date (stands for
> > "secure sockets layer").
>
> I'll look at the standard.  I'm no expert, but I can feel the weight of
> logic and clear reasoning crashing against my ssh suggestion.  If somehow
> SSL could be separated from end-use applications (maybe an ssld comparable
> to inetd for processing and directing traffic) that would be nice.

  You could always write one.

  The SSLeay library is kinda cool too.  You can take some existing
sockets based application, and change the calls to use the lib, and
presto, it has become secure (maybe not that simple, but you get the
idea).  See material on the SSLeay (though probably illegal in the US, you
probably want the RSAref library).  See the apache-ssl port as an example.

> Charles Mott

Tom