Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 22:30:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Grosch <joeg@interaccess.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Release stability (fwd)

>> > Yes, I think that a new/stable/fast cycle of 3 has a lot to be said
>> > for it.  What would people say to us going to the following numbering
>> > scheme in support of this?
>> >
>> > <rel>.<0,1,2[,3..]>[.<snap>]
>>
>> This is a very nice idea but it's going to take a lot of organisation on
>> our part....
>> We don't currently have people interested in
>> doing that sort of thing, everyone wants to play with the new toys.
>
>Actually, I'd be interested in doing such a thing except that I wouldn't
>have the time to do it right.  I think you could find some folks who'd
>be willing to put the time in, but the problem is more of a technical
>problem.
>
>The people who are qualified to accept/reject kernel patches don't have
>the time to check the patches out.  This was obvious in the 1.X -> 2.X
>phase when folks posted patches.  David didn't have the time to
>back-port patches he had made to the new code which existed in the
>previous code.
>
>I'm afraid this would be the same problem we're facing now.

I agree that the new/stable/fast method has a lot to offer. But there
are a number of implicit assumptions in this method. a) that there are
a good number of people working on this and b) that these people are
divided up into groups, each working on a "phase".  I don't think we
have the man power to do this right particulary if we are doing each
phase in less than 6 months. I suspect that the reason CSRG went with
and stuck with the even/odd method is limited resources.

My $0.02. Do with this as you wish.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |