Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 16:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

> > Did the above control character munge happen to be on a system with
> > a wide 2940 in it???  If so turn off wide or drop the sync negotiation
> > rate to 5Mhz in scsi-select.  There is a bug in the 2940W sequencer code
> > known to cause data corruption when running wide drives at this time.
>
> In this case it was the P90 CPU that caused that mess. I clocked it
> down to 75 MHz, since then no trouble. 2 make worlds ran perfectly.
>
> My hardware: AHA 2940 (not wide), Quantum Grand Prix, ASUS P55TP4XE,
> 256k burst cache, 32 MB 70ns,....
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have to clock it down to work at 75MHz I highly suspect you have
a defective cache module.  :-(  I also see 70nS memory in there, that is
only good to 90Mhz, and it _must_ meet the 70nS t(RAC) timeing or it will
cause problems, even 71nS is enough to cause you problems at 90Mhz, 61nS
causes problems at 100Mhz.

I now use high quality life time warrantied memory in all of my systems
because I was seeing memory related problems and after running some of it
on a real simm tester and seeing slightly over spec T(RAC) times I decided
it was time to do the right things.

> Thanks especially to you Rod ... Your hint, that it might be hardware
> problems, caused me to do the trickiest things, even to clock down
> the CPU ... and ... it works !!

I am glad it works, I am sad about what you had to do to make it work
as it indicates a timing related problem in some piece of hardware :-(.