Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 16:06:53 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: info needed-upgrade 8.1 to 10.0 with zfs root

--As of May 28, 2014 12:35:58 PM -0500, Gene is alleged to have said:

> What's "stamp bootloaders"? Does that have to do with booting from a zfs
> root?
>
> My main concern is the root on ZFS. I want to make sure I can boot this
> puppy  when all is said and done!

--As for the rest, it is mine.

'Stamp bootloaders' is the part that makes sure you can boot when done.  ;)

There have been upgrades to the ZFS filesystem between 8 and 10.  You can
run without upgrading the filesystem to the newer version, but you'll lose
features.  (Among other things.)  Basically, the newer versions of the file
system software can read the older disks, but you can't use newer disks
with the older software.

So, it's not much of a problem - just load the newer OS, and it reads
everything fine.  Upgrading the disks can be done on the fly.

With one exception: If you are using ZFS as root, the bootloader has to
have the new version of ZFS to read new disks.  Since you can upgrade on
the fly, it's quite possible to use a system for months with the newer
filesystem on disk, and then find yourself unable to reboot because the
bootloader can't read it.

So: Make sure you update the bootloader.  ;)

ZFS will remind you of this - and give instructions - when you update it on
the disks, and you can update ahead of time using the same formula you used
to put the bootloader on in the first place if you want.  Mark had you
updating at each stage - it's not necessary in theory (you can do it last
thing - everything will should fine with the older disk format), but it's
probably a good idea.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.