Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:05:53 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange reboot, permissions of /sbin/reboot

Hello list,
  Something strange just occured on a quite busy server running FreeBSD 4.6-RC
  as of May 28. First, it seemed to have suddenly rebooted, but not by a
  kernel trap or anything like it, the machine has been up for over 120 days,
  running smoothly. We checked the logs, seeing that it was rebooted by an
  ordinary user (all.log) which comes quite strange to me.

  # ls /sbin/reboot
  -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  - 233708 Jan 19  2002 /sbin/reboot*

  First I thought someone messed up things bigtime, but checking my system
  shows me the same permissions for /sbin/reboot, despite the fact that an
  ordinary user on my system can NOT reboot or shutdown anything. We issued a
  reboot again as a normal user, just to make sure it was not a mistake and it
  did reboot again. It also seems that the first reboot was not initiated by a
  user. I am a little confused...how could that happen?

  My questions are: what catches the execution of /sbin/reboot for normal
  users and how could it happen that the normal user was not caught in that
  case? Also, how come that the permissions on reboot and shutdown are the way
  they are?

  Can someone point me to some relevant pieces of information?

TIA
regards & good night
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos