Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:46:32 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracing writes?

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:27:08PM +0000, a little birdie told me
that Christian Weisgerber remarked
> You see that a file is written to.  How do you figure out where the
> write() is coming from?

There may not be a write().

> As I have described on -current, executables keep getting new mtimes
> on my box (FreeBSD-CURRENT/alpha).  Comparing MD5-Hashes of the
> files before and after, as well as copying the files to an entirely
> different system and comparing hashes there shows no changes.  I've
> set up a little program that uses a kqueue() filter to watch over
> /bin/*.  I expected to see utimes() updates (NOTE_ATTRIB), but it's
> telling me that the executables are actually _written_ to (NOTE_WRITE).

There was at some time in the past a bug in the VM system that would
cause mtimes to be updated because of (from memory) dirtied pages in the
in-core copy of an executable being flushed back.  I believe it was
supposed to have been fixed (this was back in 2.2 days, IIRC), but it
could be rearing its head again, or a similar bug doing so.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com