Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 07:58:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        nrice@emu.sourcee.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dumb bpfilter question

In a previous message, spork said:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:
>
> > This has got to be bad luck. :-)
> >
> > Seriously, did you compile and install the new kernel after making changes
> > to the kernel configuration file?
>
> Double-Doh!  This machine is so damn slow that I got tired of waiting for
> the kernel compile, came back and rebooted.  Missed the oh-so-important
> step of actually *installing* the kernel... sheesh.

You can speed up compiles on minor changes like this by doing a
config -n KERNELNAME

This doesn't delete the directory and leaves the object files intact. Once
in a great while, something gets messed up and you need to start clean, but
not usually.

Paul.

--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?