Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:16:25 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>, nickhead@folino.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 01:52:33PM -0500, Bob Johnson wrote:
> > You can't reboot to single user mode when you are doing a remote
> > update.  He is specifically asking about the best way to do
> > a remote update.  You have to do everything multiuser and accept
> > the risk, but there is still the question of what order minimizes
> > the risk.
>
> The give one is it.  It's going to be pretty easy to talk a NOC monkey
> through booting the system on the old kernel, but damn near impossiable
> to get them through recovering a system with a busted kernel and a
> userland that won't work with the old one.

Yes, let me be more specific here. Remote upgrading has very little
tolerance for failure. If the new kernel is somehow broken, either
completely failing at boot or with some essential driver broken or even
something as simple as when we moved from the old ide drivers to the new
ata drivers and lost, for a while, the ability to hardwire the drive
units, you are screwed.

The procedure I was describing is the recommended upgrade procedure. We
do not recommend remote upgrading at all. Someone doing remote upgrading
better understand exactly what s/he is doing. For this reason, I listed
and explained the recommended upgrade steps.

Alas, I should have said that the single user boot purpose is to avoid
problems with library and daemons upgrades in the installworld step.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	I think you are delusional, but that is OK. Its part of your natural
charm!