Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:37:45 +0200 (EET)
From:      Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   APM and Compaq Contura 400CX

Hi,

I've been using FreeBSD-current on my Compaq Contura
400CX for some time now. Things are almost perfect,
there is just one problem with suspend/resume.

When I suspend the machine by pressing suspend button,
apm driver seems to get PMEV_SUSPENDREQ as expected.
However, in apm_suspend (in i386/apm.c), when system
calls apm_processevent after calling apm_suspend_system,
it receives many extraneous PMEV_SUSPENDREQ events.
I guess that this is caused by bios not clearing
the event correctly in this situation, since adding
a small delay before calling apm_processevent makes
everything to work OK. Otherwise, the system
goes into infinite loop trying to process another
suspend request and another and another... Eventually
it crashes.

I have upgraded my bios to newest version available
from Compaq - no change in behaviour.

Could it be possible to alter apm driver somehow
(I don't know what would be the correct way to do it) to
make it more tolerable for this kind of bios behaviour ?

	Ari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
	Lappeenranta, Finland