Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:41:41 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless lans with multiple accesspoints

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:18:43 -0400
> From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> probably said:
> > Simply stated, no. Per 802.3, collisions are a local event. There is
> > no way for a switch to "send a collision" and the section of 802.3 on
> > full-duplex is specific that collision detection MUST be disabled. A
> > switch does not divide a broadcast domain, but does divide a collision
> > domain.
>
> In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
>
> Collision detection is not always disabled, collisions do happen if
> they are supposed to or not.

This is simply not true. If any equipment running full-duplex EVER
reports a collision it is BADLY broken. This is cast in stone and
central to the full-duplex spec. I have LOTS of switches and hundreds
of nodes and have never seen a collision on an interface that was
running full-duplex.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)