Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:16:58 +1030
From:      Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DHCP and multiple cards

Hi All,
    Sorry if this is the wrong list but how do people deal with using a
wireless card and a built in network card?

I attach my laptop to many wired lan's all of which have dhcp.
At the same time I have access to various wireless networks, all of
which have dhcp.

It would be nice to be able to work on the wired lan, then when I need,
disconnect and have the wireless lan automatically become the default
transport media.

Is there a way to request the default route to always be set to the
fastest link?
I've tried using dhclient to set the ip of both devices (fxp0 and wi0)
but only one instance seems to be able to run at a time:
ie:

dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.fxp0.pid fxp0
dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.wi0.pid wi0

The second dhclient will fail claiming the port is in use.

How do people get around this. I'm against having to manually configure
settings as I move through too many networks.

Cheers,
    Benjamin