Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:06:56 -0700
From:      Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Kernel modules don't work properly in FreeBSD 8.1-RC1

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:38:06AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> It appears many kmods are broken because the linker is stripping away sta=
tic=20
> data declared with the section attribute in FreeBSD 8.1-RC1.
>=20
> <cite>
>=20
> I added those lines to the LDFLAGS in Makefile.kmod in the cuse4bsd port
> made the module and the result loads and creates the /dev/cuse file.

Hi.

I'm the fellow in Hans's <cite>...</cite>.

If someone's looking into this, it's worth mentioning that the sample
cdev kmodule in /usr/share/examples/kld/cdev/ also exhibits the
behavior.  On my 8.1-PRERELEASE system that module does not create the
/dev/cedv device, but if you add the line=20

LDFLAGS +=3D -u __start_set_sysinit_set -u __start_set_sysuninit_set \
   -u __start_set_sysctl_set -u __start_set_modmetadata_set \
   -u __stop_set_sysinit_set -u __stop_set_sysuninit_set \
   -u __stop_set_sysctl_set -u __stop_set_modmetadata_set

right before the=20

=2Einclude <bsd.kmod.mk>

in /usr/share/examples/kld/cdev/module/Makefile and remake everything,
the module creates the /dev/cdev file when it's loaded.

That magical line was suggested by Ryan Stone in another thread:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D120718+0+current/freebsd-hac=
kers

Happy hunting, and I'm happy to test patches or provide more information.

--=20
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.=
asc