Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:21:54 +0100
From:      Ulf Magnusson <ulfma629@student.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird disk problems

Today I decided to install FreeBSD, and so I grabbed a FreeBSD installation CD off the net. The first time I booted from the installation CD, everything went fine (seemingly), and I soon found myself in sysinstall. Not quite ready to install at that point, and needing to shut down the system, I quit sysinstall without having initiated any install or changed any settings (except maybe for the keymap, I can't remember). I returned later to commence the installation only to find that the boot process now hangs, the last message being "GEOM configure ad0s1, start 32256 length 112785007104 end 112785039359" (verbose logging). I did not start my computer between the two occasions, and didn't change my hardware configuration either. Windows, which I have installed on the same disk (I shrunk the NTFS partition by 10 GiB using Partition Magic to make way for FreeBSD), still boots fine.

Help appreciated,
Ulf