Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:00:24 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless boot of a PXE-compatible machine : finally done !

Hello,

this a simili victory report : the PC now boots via PXE (this is a Motorola
rack-mount PC, with a no-thrills BX motherboard and an fxp NIC, with a
strictly 4.2-Release installation)

the rc.diskless2 must be wrong (I've not yet checked with -Stable),
as it tries to chmod, chgrp and find in /var
before mounting /usr (this must be a chicken-and-egg question, as a forced
/usr mount in the beginning of rc.diskless2 gives an error message about
/var/db/mounttab not being there)

in the limited tests I have done, I have not been able to start the machine
with a strict bootp setup : the PXE ROM says there are no answers if I
force the dhcpd as a BOOTP server (I want to control the correspondance
between the MAC and IP addresses)

the PXE boot rom is a 2.0 release, compile number 68 (is there any more
stable or better version ?)

     TfH