Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:48:15 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network configuration with NETGEAR

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> My FreeBSD machine running 3.1 is connected to port 8 of a NETGEAR Fast
> Ethernet Hub FE516, whose port 16 is connected to port 2 (10/100Mbps) of a
> NETGEAR switch SW502.  The UTP port (port 1) of SW502 is connected to the
> outside world.
>
> When FreeBSD boots up, the light on port 8 of the Hub is on. Later,
> FreeBSD says "de0: enabling 10BaseT port" and the light on port 8 goes
> off.  After bootup, I can not do telnet or ftp.

It sounds as though you would need to issue

ifconfig de0 media 100baseTX

to make de0 use Fast Ethernet to the NetGear FE516.

Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer