Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:46:14 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>, Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

On Monday,  1 November 1999 at 17:19:36 +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 07:40:35PM -0400, Don wrote:
>> This is getting off topic. What features would you like to see in a new
>> file system. Some suggestions were made. Would you like to add anything to
>> this list?
>
> Yes.
> * Easy to do concurrent access from multiple hosts to the same
>   physical media

You can never do this in the general case (where any host may request
access to any part of the disk).  The best you could do there is a
file server, but they're not quite our terms of reference.

> * Ability to span more than one disk

That's not necessarily a file system feature.  Vinum does that now.

> I have design papers on the FS designed for G2, which was intended to
> support all of the features I've seen listed so far.  It has a couple
> of drawbacks:
> (1) It is not designed to have the semantics of a standard Unix
>     filesystem.

That doesn't surprise me, if you want to implement the first of your
suggestions.

Is there anything in there which would be of interest in our
environment?

Greg