Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:10:05 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 at 19:52 SAT, Brett Taylor wrote:

> Of course we'll say FreeBSD!  :-)  The only experience I have w/ Redhat
> wasn't a particularly good one, but much of that can be blamed on the sys
> admin.  RH was installed here as a dept server.  I believe (and was told
> by our WinDoZe person) that he did a basic standard install.  That
> standard install had a HUGE number of things running that didn't need to
> be, ie:
>
> 	innd (a news server - we weren't a news server!)
> 	httpd (we had no web pages on this machine!)
> 	gopherd (a gopher server - does anyone use gopher anymore?)
> 	bootpd (no machines were booting off this machine)

Your average Redhat RPM package installs not only the binaries, docs, etc.,
but also all the necessary startup files in Redhat's SysV-like /etc/rc.d
tree.  IOW, should the newbie admin choose to install "everything" during
system installation, he will also be _running_ everything.

Anyway, I'm wandering off topic here...

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878