Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Fritz <brianfr@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newly built kernel trap 12s

Hi,

I've been struggling to build a custom kernel (firewall and bridge)
and have been stopped cold by the latest problem. I'm getting a trap 12
when the boot kernel attempts (apparently) to change the root device to
the slice where FreeBSD lives.

I'm running a 486/133 with a 3G IDE drive, and an SIIG controller that
supports LBA.

The stock 3.2 "installation" kernel boots fine.

I read a note on debugging "trap 12" problems in the archives, but I'm
hoping that someone has some generic causes, or configuration errors
I should check for.

TIA...

Brian

-> Console messages from new kernel <-

npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface

fault virtual address   = 0x58
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc01b09bb
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0275f84
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0275f88
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                    = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 ()
interrupt mask          =
trap number         = 12
panic: page fault
Automatic Reboot in 15 seconds...

-> /var/log/messages from install kernel <-

/kernel.save: npx0 on motherboard
/kernel.save: npx0: INT 16 interface
/kernel.save: changing root device to wd0s2a

-> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL <-

#config kernel root on wd0
config kernel root on wd0s2a

Brian