Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 07:30:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        ctkwan@cs.hku.hk, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My client runs IRC bots

> 1. Opens up a listening socket for incoming telnet connections.
> 2. Is poorly written and usually run by people who down'tcare or acre
>    about unix security, hence the presence of 1. is a danger.
> 3. Has code that does the following:
>
>     if connection to server lost
>       reconnect
>
>   When the servert goes down and refuses conections, that turns into
>   a nasty busy loop that spends a lot of time calling expensive kernel
>   fuinctions and pretty much eats your mahine.
>
> 4. Is usually run to "protect" an IRC channel or 6, and thus causes people
>    to get pissed off and often try to attack the machine that hosts the bot.

1. This is easily disabled in the EggDrop configuration file.
2. It's not the best code in the world, no.  But it does it's job, and it
   does it's job fairly well.  I haven't seen any more widely used bot,
   or any bot as flexible yet.
3. This is where a problem lies.  We regularly run several bots here for
   some small IRC networks we belong to.  The only time we've noticed a
   problem thus far has been because the *ONLY* remote server has gone
   done.  Keep in mind, if configured properly, EggDrop has a "list" of
   servers it cycles through.  If you only have one listed, and that
   one goes down completely, it will chew CPU time.
4. While that may be true for some of the larger IRC Networks, I know
   many smaller networks that the admins run IRC service bots on (Ie:
   ChanServ, NickServ, HelpServ) to protect it's users.  People with the
   appropriate authority get operator status from the bot, people without
   the proper authority get it taken away by the bot, works very well and
   it wreaks havoc on the network when these bots aren't present.

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net