Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang on flushing buffers w/today's -CURRENT, SMP system

>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:54:55 -0800 (PST)
>From: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>

>can you try a kernel from JUST BEFORE I did the KSE commit yesterday?

OK; results below....

>I heard someone else complain of thisyesterday afternoon. At that time I
>wascertain it was too soon after my commit for him to already have got it,
>but it would be nice tio know if I screwed something...

>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:29:51 -0800 (PST)
>From: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
>To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: reboot and sync behaviour.

>This succeeded, but looks suspicious to me.....

>syncing disks... 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

>I've never seen it like that before..
>It might be related to the problem some have seen with syncing..

I was able to build a kernel from just prior to the "Pre-KSE/M3" commit
(http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1278231+0+current/cvs-all);
it did not exhibit the problem.

I then updated the sources to just after that commit, booted, then on
the reboot (while running this new kernel), I get the hang again:

Additional TCP options:.
Starting background filesystem checks

Fri Feb  8 13:22:59 PST 2002

FreeBSD/i386 (freebeast.catwhisker.org) (cuaa0)

login: boot() called on cpu#0
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to
stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...stopped

syncing disks... 7 7

So, yes, Julian, I think there's something not quite right there.

How can I help debug this?

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.