Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 12:51:16 -0700
From:      Tetsuya Watanabe <tetuya@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   newbie question

Hello,

The version of FreeBSD,  which I use,  is 2.2.5.  Just installed from
cd-rom yesterday.  The PC is Intel Natoma 440FX-based.  There are few
problems.

1) XFree86 3.3.1 was used with generic kernel.  Also,  my logitech
ps/2(psm0) mouse worked.  The new kernel was built and the it boots
fine,  however XFree86 3.3.1 refuses to run and says something like
"mouse(psm0) failed to load".  Reconfigure xfree86 has not been
working.  I specified "psm0" in the new kernel.  Does this matter
relates to "profile",  "rc",  or "rc.conf"?

2) After installation,  the pc was rebooted.  It prompted to enter the
login name.  So,  I entered "root" and hit Enter.  After that,  I was
not required to enter password!  I tried several times with the same
result.  I changed root password with /stand/sysinstall program.  Then,
I am enable to enter root password.  I do not know the reason.

3) Since the reboot following kernel rebuilt,  the root partition(/) is
full.  DF says that the capacity for / is 104% and -XXX is available.
So,  I checked the / and found that the new kernel is as eight times
large as the size of generic kernel although the new kernel,  which I
wrote was smaller than "generic" kernel file.  When I "ls -l" the
directory,  the size of the new kernel is more than 9*10^6.  As a result
of this,  running programs is somewhat unstable.  The / was assigned
32MB space.

I have no clue about how to fix these.  Would you please suggest
solutions?  Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Tetsuya Watanabe