Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:02:44 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com (Mikhail Teterin), jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com (John Baldwin), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

> I explicitly installed _all_ production machines "dangerously dedicated"
> _to_get_around_ geometry problems. So I could swap SCSI controllers
> of different brands with different translations.

That was a silly idea.

> So I just wouldn't need to care if the disk was > 1GB or not.
> Try what happens if you install a "proper" partition table with
> an Adaptec controller and swap it for an NCR one - boom!

Actually, no.  Both of these controllers' firmware will read the on-disk
geometry and prefer that.

> Try the same with a dedicated disk ...

"Dangerously dedicated" is known to kill the Symbios BIOS code in some
cases.

> Folks, gemoetries are for brain damaged PC operating systems.
> All the box needs to boot is a proper MBR. BIOSes that
> don't boot from a dedicated disk are _broken_.

Half right, half wrong.  Note that a "dedicated" disk does not have a
proper MBR.

> I definitely would mind _reinstalling_ > 20 servers to upgrade
> to 5.x eventually.

I don't know where *anyone* has gotten this stupid idea from so listen up
real good:

 THIS CHANGE TO BOOT0 WILL NOT REQUIRE ANY SYSTEM TO EVER BE REINSTALLED.

The change that's being made is to desupport the creation of incorrectly
laid out 'dedicated' disks.  Your existing layouts will continue to work
just fine.  You could never use MBR-based OS selector with any other
dedicated disk, so you are not losing any more functionality.

 PLEASE STOP SPREADING FUD AND UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOURS.  THANKYOU.