Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:39:01 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, freebsd-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> If somebody is up to organizing it, it would be nice to have an
> overview of what everybody would like to put in before we decide to
> put down a branch.  However, given how much variance most of us has in
> how much effort (or at least results) we're able to push into FreeBSD,
> it is somewhat hard to create clear lines for things, so we might have
> to be satisfied with lining up some of the most important things.

I vote for:

- IPv6 and the tools to go with it (Yoshinobu Inoue)
- Better laptop (PC card) support, possibly Cardbus (Warner Losh)
- Improved soundcard support: right now newpcm is broken in a number of
ways (Cameron Grant), possibly new MIDI (Seigo Tanimura)
- Reorganised source tree (e.g. filesystems must go into /sys/fs, etc.)

Realistically though, IPv6 is the most important issue here;  people can
continue to use the old pccard system while Warner is working on the new
one, and the old sound driver until newpcm is fixed and new MIDI
integrated.   Anything will go as long as we don't lose any existing
features.   People tend to get very disappointed when they find that
something that used to work with an earlier release has been replaced by
something that doesn't (yet).

Alex