Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:38:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum & fsck wrappers strangeness

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, John W. De Boskey wrote:

>    I ran into an interesting gotcha with fsck and vinum...
>
>    I have the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/vinum/raid5        /pub            ufs     rw              2       2
>
>    and during an upgrade (old current to current), I commented the
> line out during the reboot process. After bringing the new system
> online, I executed:
>
> /sbin/fsck -y /dev/vinum/raid5
>
> and received the following error:
>
> fsck: exec /usr/sbin/fsck_unused for /dev/vinum/raid5: No such file or directory

I saw a related problem with mfs.  I had the following lines in /etc/fstab:

---
#/dev/ad0s4	none		swap	sw

/dev/ad0s4	/tmp		mfs	rw,-s65536,-i8192,noatime,noauto
---

The mfs line has very little to do with /dev/ad0s4 or swap.  The label
for /dev/ad0s4 just provides a (bogus) geometry for mfs.  I wasn't
using /dev/ad0s4 for either swap or mfs, but it happened to have a
filesystem on it, and when I tried to fsck this, fsck attempted to
exec the nonexistent file fsck_mfs.

Bruce