Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 18:59:49 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lockless file descriptor lookup

--GCRJOSQGwEYxR+j1

Hello Jeff,

* Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net> wrote:
> Once the file descriptor is resolved, we verify the path via the =20
> descriptor table once more to ensure that it has not changed.  At this =
=20
> point, we have a valid reference or we drop an invalid reference and =20
> retry.

It's nice to see someone stepped up to implement this. Just out of
curiosity, have you done any benchmarks to see how many percent of the
time a thread needs more than one attempt to obtain a valid reference on
a common workload?

Maybe it would be nice for diagnostic purposes to add two sysctls to
obtain the amount of successful and unsuccessful attempts.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/

--GCRJOSQGwEYxR+j1