Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SRM on a PC 164LX

Greg Lewis writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm trying to help a friend run FreeBSD on a PC 164LX Alpha.  We have
 > FreeBSD running happily here on a DS10 and he's got Linux running at
 > home on a BX/UX "Ruffian", so we have some idea of what we're doing :).
 > The problem with the LX is that it currently has ARC installed and we're
 > having trouble replacing that with SRM.  One of the interesting things
 > is that most of the documentation I've found mentions this board should
 > have come with AlphaBIOS and doesn't really deal with ARC at all.  The
 > version of ARC on the machine is 4.49-2 if that helps.
 >
 > Anyway, I've downloaded the SRM 5.8 images from Compaq and tried to get
 > them installed, but to no avail.  The main things I've tried are:
 >
 > 1. fwupdate.exe on a FAT (DOS) formatted floppy using the "Install new
 >    firmware" menu item from the supplementary menu of ARC.  The machine
 >    accesses the floppy for a while and then stops, with the console just
 >    remaining a blank blue.
 > 2. Same setup (fwupdate.exe on DOS floppy) but setting the fail safe
 >    jumper.  I get the correct beep sequence and the floppy drive is
 >    accessed but then nothing, the machine just sits there unresponsive
 >    with a blank screen.

At this point in the update, the  machine has loaded the new firmware
into memory.  At the point where it stops, it is trying to boot from
the firmware image in memory.

Perhaps in a previous life this machine had its console set to serial
on the SRM side.  Try plugging in a terminal at 9600,8n1 on the lowest
numbered serial port.   You may see some output.

 > Now, the documentation for the fail safe booting indicates I should
 > make the floppy with "makeboot" rather than just put the fwupdate.exe

makebootfirm, you mean?

 > on the floppy.  However, I don't have access to a machine to do this.
 > Maybe someone can tell me what that program does different and if I
 > can reproduce what it does with dd somehow or maybe with the -B flag
 > of newfs_msdos?

It puts a special header on the floppy.
You can dd images created by it.

 > Any clues appreciated :).

If you can find an older firmware, that might help.  I seem to
remember there were problems going directly from arc to new firmware.

Drew