Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:58:55 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zapping Email Box

In the last episode (May 15), Jack L. Stone said:
> Running FBSD-4.5 RELEASE with sendmail-8.11.6 and Qpopper
>
> As part of a daily digest mailing at midnight, I have a cron job that
> copies a mailbox contents to a work file, then a script strips out the
> extra header "noise" and sends out the nice clean digest to its members. In
> order to cut off the mail box at precisely midnight, I have been "zapping"
> the email box to zero it out in order to start another day's collection of
> emails right after midnight. I use this command to "zap" the email box:
> #echo > mymailbox
>
> What always worries me is that one of these times, the zap will be made at
> a time when the box is "active" with mail throughput and I may break or
> corrupt something. I know I could launch an email client to download the
> box to empty it, but that adds another possible variable to break the
> routine and not clean out the box timely.... the cron time is set at
> exactly 23.59 so there is only that 1 minute to do the zapping or cleanout
> of the box.

So lock the mailbox while you're messing with it.  The procmail port
provides a "lockfile" command that will dotlock any arbitrary file,
with special flags for handling /var/mail/$USERNAME.  I use it in all
my mail-archiving scripts.  In general, you should lock a mailbox any
time you read or write to it.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com