Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:55:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        shane_64@hotmail.com (Shane Hagan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Freebsd Questions)
Subject:   Re: BSD

>   I have a quick question.  I am currently running NT 4.0 and I have
> installed it a billion times.

	About par for the course. :-)

> 				How much different are the 2 OS's (NT, BSD)
> as far as commands and installation?

	Night and day. NT is GUI driven, *BSD's are by and large
   command line driven, although there are windowing systems available
   for them. Still, they require you to set them up, and the language
   can be arcane.

> 					Is it easy to pick up?

	I would suggest a trip to the book store and pick up a copy
   of "Unix for Dummies" or "Teach Yourself Unix" or "Understanding
   Unix". Unix commands, by and large, tend to be terse, a legacy
   of the early days of teletypes. Unix also happens to be a multi-
   user operation system, so there are artifacts to that that NT and
   Windoze in general simply do not have. Finally, you are going to
   have to accept that you don't simply run down to the local computer
   store and purchase your favorite software/peripheral and install
   it. Software support for Unix is not as good as Windoze, I am
   afraid. Still, there are equivalents for most anything NT will
   do, and most probably work better (at least they don't tend to
   trample other installed software). :-)

	You can also look at Linux. Linux is very similiar to Unix,
   and intentionally so. Linux has a bit broader software and peripheral
   support than the *BSD's tend to have, so it might better serve
   your needs.

	I am not trying to scare you off, but I do feel it is important
   that you have an idea what you will be getting into.

> 								How is it as
> far as uptime (how long can BSD be up without rebooting)?

	Years. Literally.

							Bruce