Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:04:46 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James B Amy <jimamy@io.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD Installation

James B Amy wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm a recent purchaser of the FreeBSD 2.1 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  It
> turns out that installing FreeBSD is far more difficult and involved than I had
> anticipated.  I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.
>
> (I cannot make contact with supprt@cdrom.com.)

The best place for support is the FreeBSD-questions mailing list.
	questions@FreeBSD.org

You'll notice that I have changed the CC to include the
FreeBSD-questions list to help get you going in the right
direction.

> 1. On page 26 of the Running FreeBSD manual it says I need to jumper my
> CD-ROM as a slave device.  My CD is the only device on my secondary IDE
> (ATAPI) interface and when I jumper it as a slave device the CD-ROM drivers
> will not accept a slave without a master.  In the process my CD-ROM drivers
> defaulted back to real device drivers and I had to reload Windows 95 to get
> the CD-ROM as well as my IDE Windows 95 drivers back.
>         Is it necessary to jumper the CD as a slave device and if so, how can I do
> that without also having a master?

Put your CD on the primary controller as slave.
like so:
	wd0:	HD master
		CD slave
	wd1:	HD master (If you have two HD's)

> 2. The other issue I did not realize when I ordered FreeBSD is the need to
> load it in a partition within the first 500 MB of disk space (or 1024
> cylinders).  Is this always the case with EIDE drives?  I am using a
> Western Digital AC31200 1.2MB HD.

This is _not_ a FreeBSD limitation, It is a PC BIOS limitation.

> 3. If I cannot get this to work, is there a satisfaction guaranteed as
> there is with Linux Slackware?  It seems to me Linux might be an easier
> route to go, at least as far as installation goes.

Your choice! It is a Free country!
I'll bet you'll be sorry though, IMHO FreeBSD is a much nicer OS.
 (Not to start a FreeBSD | Linux war)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848