Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 02:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl (Marc van Kempen)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum Fireball, any good?

> Hi,
>
> I can get a nice deal on a quantum fireball 1080S. Are they any good
> performancewise? Any known flaws with respect to FreeBSD (2.0.5)?
> It will be connected to a NCR53c825 on a Dell 90Mhz pentium.

These are Quantums low end PC class of disk drives designed to compete
in the price diving PC market.  They are not known for performance, or
at least, not in the normal since of Quantum drives.

Here is a break down of the series of Quantum disks from low performace
to high performance.  (For current production models, I have dropped
the older Empire and ProDrive series of drives as they are no longer
a production item)

Maverick	14mS		3600RPM
Trailblazer	14mS		4500RPM
Fireball	12mS		5400RPM
Lightning	11mS		4500RPM
Capella		8.5mS		5400RPM
Grand Prix	8.6mS		7200RPM
Atlas		8mS		7200RPM

Of these drives I mostly sell Capella and Atlas class drives (500MB to
4Gbytes).  The DEC/Quantum DSP3xxx series of drives are really Capella
class drives, but they have now dropped out of production, I really
liked them, but now am again searching for drive models in the 500 and
1G sizes that meet my performance and reliablity standards :-(.

I don't know what your ``nice deal'' is, but I can sell you a pair of:
XX. BAS DEC3053L Dec/Quantum 535MB 3.5"x1", SCSI-II, 5400 RPM, 9.5mS   $ 195.00

Or if I can still get it (Friday showed 2 in stock) the 1.07G 7200RPM
8mS atlas drive is a real little screamer for performance.  A bit on the
spendy side though, at $770.00.  I don't have current pricing or
avaliabilty status on the VP31110, that is the 1G Capella drive, should
be cost effective as that is a new production series (about 3 months old
now).

Go visit the Quantum web page, http://www.quantum.com, you'll notice that
the Maverick->Lightning class drives are under the PC section, and what
I advocate (Capella->Atlas) are in the Workstation/Server pages.

I do _not_ recommend the Grand Prix, it is simply there as a data point.