Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:37:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@thinksec.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ideas concerning fsck

>   2) if the mountpoint is "none", skip this entry.

Please don't. =)

It is entirely sensible to be able to fsck a filesystem upon boot without
actually mounting it. Also, I would guess this is a good thing for
auto-mounter as well.

>   3) if the fs type is known, run the appropriate command (which can
>      be null, e.g. for cd9660), and skip to the next entry.
>   4) if the fs type is unknown, but fsck_${fstype} exists, run it and
>      skip to the next entry.

Why this distinction ?

I would think you'd either want to go entirely with the approach in (4),
or add a new file in /etc, say "fstypes" or "fscktab".

>   5) print a big fat "Unknown file system type" warning and skip to
>      the next entry.

Adding pass #0 currently suppresses anything like that. You'd want
to be able to suppress the warning.

> As for which order to fsck file systems in, do / first, and everything
> else in parallell afterwards (possibly with additional logic to try to
> identify file systems that are on the same device and fsck them
> sequentially to avoid thrashing)

The logic to avoid thrashing would be a must. Currently, this can be
avoided by logic on the part of the admin, by using pass 1 where
neccessary. As to doing / first, why?

> I'm willing to write the code if people think it's a good idea.

I think it needs to be worked out some more, and needs
backward-compatibility, but apart from that, I'm for.

Marius