Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:42:00 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        User Witr <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Noisy Dell Inspiron 5000e

I don't have a 5000e, but I do have the good ole 5000 (which is
basically the same NEway) and it does the same exact thing, but then
again I've had many desktops do this.  I'm sure it's just some random
relays clicking in and out, but since I've seen this on a billion
different boxes (mobile or otherwise) I figure it's no big deal.  JFYI
it does this under win98, or on Linux/FreeBSD (though I've only run
those two off floppy, as I have a separate 5yr old ppro for my unix
needs)

L:

User Witr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My Dell Inspiron 5000e is noisy!  I don't mean the fan or the disk;  those
> sounds are expected.  The laptop makes ticking/buzzing noises that are
> correlated to CPU use.  Examples are scrolling an X window, moving the
> mouse on some applications, compiling, and the like.  This happens running
> FreeBSD *or* Win2K.
>
> I checked through the mailing lists and searched the web but didn't see
> any reports about this specific problem.
>
> Do other people have the same problem, or is it just me?  Can this be
> fixed?
>
> Thanks!

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com