Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 18:12:09 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, dpsmith@xoom.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Remote power cycle

>>     For wcarchive, I use the BOOT_FORCE_COMCONSOLE make option. I run gettys
>
>This option doesn't exist in 2.2.5 or 3.0.  You set flags on the desired
>serial console instead.  See sio(4) in 3.0.  The documentation is out of
>date in 2.2.5.
>
>Bruce

BOOT_FORCE_COMCONSOLE doesn't exist in both 2.2.5 and 3.0. But, the
serial console flags exist only in 3.0 yet. And yes, the documentation
in 2.2.5 is VERY confusing ;-<

Under 3.0 you do:

1. Put '-h' in /boot.config,
2. and set flags to 0x10 on the desired serial device. You may switch
   to the internal (video card) console, if you like, by toggling
   '-h' at "boot:" prompt.

Or

1. Set flags to 0x20 on the desired serial device to force the serial
   console, regardless of the state of the -h option.

Under 2.2.5 you do:

1. Put '-h' in /boot.config and COM0 will be the console. You may switch
   to the internal (video card) console, if you like, by toggling
   '-h' at "boot:" prompt.

Or

1. Use
	options COMCONSOLE
   in your kernel configuration file to force COM0 to be the console,
   regardless of the state of the -h option.

Kazu