Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael <cadaver@tucu.net>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help reading my maillog

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Chris Fedde wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT)  Michael wrote:
>
> Sendmail on olderman.analytic.ru is telling tucu.net that the domain
> 2hb.ne was not resolvable.  Recent versions of sendmail's configuration
> file make this check on incomming mail.  You have something in the
> queue on tucu that has a bad sender address in it (mike1123@2hb.ne)
>
> How it got there is the interesting thing.  I'd guess someone that
> is authorized to use your system has a missconfigured mail client.
> If you had an open relay there would be many more than one log line
> like above :-)
>
> chris
>
> --
>     Chris Fedde
>     303 773 9134

Thanks for the speedy response. I have a couple more questions and I was
wondering if anyone could recommend a course of action about resolving
this.

Here are all the occasions that this mesage showed up:

Apr 25 10:09:52 tucu sendmail[29625]: KAA29625: ruleset=check_mail,
arg1=<mike1123@2hb.ne>, relay=lucy.fukuda.is.uec.ac.jp [130.153.154.151],
reject=501 <mike1123@2hb.ne>... Sender domain must exist
Apr 25 10:09:52 tucu sendmail[29625]: KAA29625: from=<mike1123@2hb.ne>,
size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
relay=lucy.fukuda.is.uec.ac.jp [130.153.154.151]

Apr 25 13:46:42 tucu sendmail[29869]: NAA29869: ruleset=check_mail,
arg1=<mike1123@2hb.ne>, relay=IDENT:root@olderman.analytic.ru
[212.5.87.200], reject=501 <mike1123@2hb.ne>... Sender domain must exist
Apr 25 13:46:42 tucu sendmail[29869]: NAA29869: from=<mike1123@2hb.ne>,
size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
relay=IDENT:root@olderman.analytic.ru [212.5.87.200]

I checked the mail queue with the mailq command and there isn't anything
in the queue. There are only two people that use this system and I've
checked to make sure that their mail client and my own is correctly
configured.

Has someone done something to my computer? What steps do I need to take to
investigate this?

michael