Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:46:57 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back from the dead (status report)

Bill Huey writes:
 > The linux is the closest and least trouble free of the build
 > environments available. I got the entire thing compiling in a couple
 > of mad rushes over a 2-3 day period, which is pretty good progress
 > and certainly very comforting that I could duct tape that stuff so
 > quickly. It immediately opens the possibility that other more in
 > depth work can happen and I'd like to continue on that track.

I got the original solaris stuff working in one day.  There was a two
character change required in one file to make it work.  The linux build
environment is fundamentally broken and should be immediately
abandoned.  Note that I am not suggesting that you abandon your code
fixes, merely the build environment.  Anyone who knows makefiles will
see the problem with the linux build environment and agree.

Also, there has been no discussion of what exactly you are doing in the
code base.  I, for one, believe that it is important to discuss design
issues before plunging wildly into massive code changes.  No one knows
what your design is and thus cannot offer advice or aid.

/Joe