Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:53:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signals.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:09:50PM -0500, Paul Halliday wrote:
> > Just a little collection from under 24 hours.
> >
> > pid 203 (XFree86), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> > pid 1640 (XFree86), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> > pid 44317 (XFree86), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> > pid 58026 (gkrellm), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> > pid 58488 (gkrellm), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> > swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #ad/1, blkno: 20512, size: 40960
> > pid 58342 (dillo), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > pid 59854 (cc1), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> Sounds like a problem with your swap HDD.
> This could be cabeling problem and/or a defective drive.
> The kernel has no other choice than to terminate a process for which
> it can reread its memory from swap.

Why the different signals? As for the HD error when it occured i was
moving an iso to another disk which had just been newfs's. The drive that
contains the core is a working pull from my x86 bsd box which has never
had a problem. This box also displayed this same behavior when it was all
scsi drives running 4.5. Another thing that is missing from the above
list is konqueror, it without fail cores everytime I run it.

The only testing I have done is memtest which through 8 full runs showed
no errors, aside from this I dont know what to try.