Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:16:37 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major Error Upgrading to GNOME 2.12

--nextPart2523822.tH1p7trfm5

My own horror story: ruby started throwing errors:

INFO: Running /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall -fO graphics/kimdaba
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 690 packages f=
ound (-1 +0) (...)/usr/local/lib/rub
y/site_ruby/1.8/pkgdb.rb:466: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-freebsd6]

halfway through the package removal process, but the gnome_upgrade212.sh
script kept cheerfully chewing its way through my package list.  I ended
up looking in the list of packages that it was going to "fix", manually
pkg_deleteing them, and then manually reinstalling them.

Out of curiosity, exactly what's wrong with portupgrade that these upgrade
scripts (which never seem to work as expected on my system) claim to fix?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser