Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 18:32:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I boot from partition #3 on a 4Gig HD

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to boot FreeBSD when it is installed on the third of 4 1
> Gig partitions on my SCSI HD?  Is there any solution yet?  I've Win95 and
> WinNT on the first 2, FreeBSD 2.2.1 on the 3rd (but can't boot), and Linux
> on the 4th.  I installed BootEasy, but it is useless.  I have to do a
> floppy boot for Linux.  Will I be reduced to the same for FreeBSD?
>
> Someone once explained the technical reasons why it was difficult or
> impossible (at that time) to boot from such a partition, but I still
> haven't been able to find it in the archives.  The search tool either
> returns too many matches to be of any use or not enough.  (I wish it a
> "phrase search" feature, as well as "before" and "after" versions of the
> AND boolean.)

I also wish better tools were available for searching the archives.
There's a discussion of multiple operating systems at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html, or something
like that.
I have FreeBSD booting from a 2 gig second scsi hard drive, where it
is the third slice, in the last 600 mg of the drive.  What you might
need is the other boot manager installed on the first hard drive (I
have the OS/2 boot manager).  The other issue is that whether or not
this works may depend on either the scsi controller card (I have an
Adaptec 1542CF) or the ability of the bios to remap something from
below some relevant number of cylinders to above.  However I have
an AMI bios dated 1993 and it's nothing super as far as I know.  So
I would suggest you try the boot manager option.

Annelise