Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2021 13:23:53 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Somewhat OT: Mail Relay Services

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 1:17 PM, Russell L. Carter <rcarter@pinyon.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> On 2/28/21 11:01 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> For many years, I've run a mail system built on FreeBSD for my own =
small business.
>> It's been as flawless as any mail server ever can be, requiring only =
periodic
>> maintenance and updates.
>> The primary server runs in a 3rd party cloud environment.  We are =
starting to
>> see parts of their network blacklisted by the various UCE blackholing =
services.
>> Unfortunately, they don't just blackhole a single IP, but an entire =
subnet at
>> a time, which catches us in the mix.
>> The big mail hubs like outlook.com no longer have a mechanism for =
removing the block
>> for a single ip and kick you back to your ISP or hosting provider for =
resolution.
>> So ... we are contemplating using a smart host to do all our outbound =
email for us
>> via relays from our own mail servers.  Presumably, such a smart host =
would be better
>> equipped to deal with bad blacklisting and delivery issues.
>> So ... does anyone have experience or recommendations as to who would =
be a good
>> provider for a low volume, small business mail relay?
>=20
> I'm all ears and appreciative of any pointers on this topic as well.
> I have been running my own mail servers for two domains for > 20 =
years.
> The volume is so low and I try to stay "mainstream" in configuration
> so I've never been blacklisted (that I know about, I watch).  However,
> my current last mile ISP is centurylink, from whom I lease 5 static
> ips.  And they just up and deleted my ptr records for over a month,
> and didn't fix it, even after hours on chat, until I shamed them with
> an analysis on dslreports, showing how their tech support was flat
> out stupid or lying.  It happens, but it made terrified of being
> reliant on them.  So I've decided to put my dovecot+rspamd+postfix
> system up on some popular VPS.   I am leaning toward vultr, haven't
> had any problems with them for years, but I've never needed to
> ask them to open port 25, and they require you to ask.
>=20
> But I hadn't thought that my co-tenants might cause me a problem with
> blacklisted subnets!
>=20
> Anybody know of a successful strategy here?  Maintaining your own
> servers can occasionally be a pain, but I really like managing my
> own servers exactly how I want them.

And in addition, as someone mentioned good decade ago, it will have to =
be subpoena served to you to look into your emails, whereas with email =
provider, subpoena will be served to your provider. So, with your own =
server you at least will know about this happening.

But I do not have my own server (not counting ones I maintain for the =
Department at my job place).

Valeri